4.30.2009

Why you should do sonnets instead of pot

Inspired by Vicky's THIRD blog, which I think may be too many but give her my best wishes in beginning, I am going to write in praise of poetry. I am leaving for Tokyo in like fifteen minutes and my hair is still not put up, but I am posting anyway. (Going to see the cherry blossoms with my Japanese history class.)

I wrote a sonnet the other day. It's something I may be using for other things, so I don't intend to publish it here. Anyway, on with the praise. Sonnets are really hard to write and they take like two hours for fourteen lines. They are very mentally stimulating. And virtually everything you write that fits in iambic pentameter sounds good. So I finished this poem, which actually took me about ten hours from start to finish, at around five in the morning. It was a really hard one to write because I had to draw it out myself instead of having it pounce on me, which is what usually happens. So I finished this sonnet and read it a couple of times, and I had this huge high. I just sat there in bed giggling maniacally for like fifteen minutes. It was great. Although I had to be quiet because, as I have said before, the walls of my flat are really thin. It was euphoric. And there was no hangover the next day! Which is why before you turn to chemical help, try writing a sonnet. It's constructive, it's free, and it won't pickle your kidneys. Woohoo.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

pickle your kidneys?!?

Velonica said...

Thanks for the good wishes on my blog. Sonnets are always interesting and very stimulating. Have fun!

P.S. POT is good for math (Point of Tangency)

Velonica said...

What do ya think of the new name?

sirianna said...

interestante, ... Velonica? Gotta get used to that one.

Alcohol pickles one's kidneys. My ex-step-greatuncle learned that the hard way.

Velonica said...

ewwww.... thats gross

Anonymous said...

ouchies. CHANGE THE NAME!!! it was better as Vicky!!

Anonymous said...

i'll make sure not to get close to alcohol.

Ja - 'least drugs make you feel good when your on them. 'Sept you feel like @#%& when you're not on them...

sirianna said...

see, Hertz, that's the great thing about poetry - no hangover! Unless you pull a poetic all-nighter like I do... erm.