3.27.2009

Sorry, but aren't you glad?

Okay, guys, sorry about not posting in forever. But I have made the honor roll in Geneva and I am writing again and I am a little less testy than usual! So be happy. Yesh.

I am feeling just a little bit smug because I wrote another poem last night. It's a bit of a departure from what I normally do. I am enjoying it immensely. Peace Girl really likes ptarmigan apparently, so she's enjoying it too. Not exactly sure what that's all about. Oh well. Ptarmigan are lovely birds, if a bit roly-poly. So cute! Okay. Here it is. Sorry if I've forced you to read it already.

If I left you alone on the great belt of the Earth

If I flew from you as you counted my feathers

It was because I felt I had to go.

If I flew north

If I fled in fear and hope and happiness

It was the happiness of being free.

If I ran on to freedom

If I cried out and sighed my wonderment into the southward winds

It was wonder at who I might have been.

And if I left you there to find your own way home,

It was so that we might rush together when the wind was at our backs

And so I call you,

Come up from the vast antarctic regions!

Fly to me and I will leave my family of ptarmigan

And we shall trace the orbit of the Earth with our wings.

That's the end. I like it. Although, looking over it again, it seems a little verbose. What do you think, adoring readers? Hm. It's fresh, though. Unexpected. That's why they liked my contest poem. Did you know, adoring readers? I have actually been published! (And not only on this blog, thank you very much.) I won't give you the publication or anything, but it was a weird poem I wrote a long time ago. My poetry professor was making all of us send in a poem to this contest, so I just picked it out of my computer folder. And I won! Yippee! Of course, that was before I got into love poetry. Now I have to worry a lot more about cliches. Oh well.

I am listening to "Rubber Soul." I love the Beatles. "Nowhere Man." Sigh.

The Dork, Peace Girl and I all got yelled at today because they (not I) were giggling too loudly in the gym. Oop. Not my fault, but I don't like getting chewed out by crusty old men in gym shorts who think I am an obnoxiously loud young whippersnapper. Which I am not, thank you very much. So there. Okay, the part about a person without a shirt and the person without pants comoing together to make a nudist might have been my part, but really. That was it. I guess I shouldn't be dwelling on this. Why am I dwelling on this? Moving on.

I am having taco casserole my grandfather made for dinner tonight. My mother says I won't have lived until I try it. A dubious distinction for the casserole, to be sure. But it smells good. So I won't complain. Okay. Going to eat now. Goodbye.

No comments: