6.09.2009

Maiden Dream

Perchance there was a land, I'm told

Betwixt the wood and the salt sea cold

Where maidens fair did live alone

With light bright blue-eyed charms of old.


And once, perhaps, there lived a maid

Who deep in her despair dismay'd

Corrupted by her sisters' voices

Always had she spoke or pray'd.

Thus trapp'd in pounding, pulsing sound

Her God, her brethren all around

Did all swoop down upon her close

From up above, the air, the ground.

She chose her death at the nightshade tree

And drank of its prosperity

Then wandered down to the stormy strand

'To Hades, pray not go,' quoth she.

Thus having took that foul potion

Stepp'd the maid into the ocean

Cried, O wind, be still! and hush - 

And lost her human heart's devotion.

Still the rushing tempest roar'd

And roil'd of its own accord

The rain with wind-whipped fury lashed

And bit into her very core.

If not for storm or nightshade sleep

Might still the maiden her vision keep

But as it was, she took to surf

Riptided out in the icy deep.

And neither did she die nor breathe

Amid the thund'ring under-sea

But merely slept, and chanced to dream

The earth-begotten fantasy.

8 comments:

Velonica said...

Wow! I was here as soon as you put this up.....

sirianna said...

Whoa. Weird. I don't know what I think of this one... it's kind of trippy.

sirianna said...

Are you in Agra right now? The time seems kind of wonky. It can't be that close to Oslo time there.

Velonica said...

Your right about the time.... hmmm..... Well, I must say, this should not be the one to copy into his yearbook. The feeling of this poem is more somber fantasy never coming true but a bleak hope is still there kind of poem.... I don't know how to feel about it. I read over it once or twice but I like philos better.... I still think philos needs another line about having things in common though you don't know much about each other stuck before :This is my pixel within the collective mind, communal body, these unknown organs empowering my spirit

But then again, that is just my opinion....

sirianna said...

Okay, let me reiterate: I am just publishing poems that I want to get your opinions on so I can make them better. This is not at all related to any romantic pursuits of mine. Okay? Okay. But thanks for the suggestions.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gee! that was so good! Write another! EEEE! That was awesome, and like, awesome. wow. Ug, still can't sign in

-Dorky Dork

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sirianna said...

thanks, palla! So kind of you. You made my day. :)